Rent a carin just few steps

Frequently asked questions

  • Who can rent a car?

    Everyone who is over 18 years old and owns a driving license for one year at least, which allows him/her to drive a car within the Polish territory.

  • How can I book a car?

    In our booking department you can rent a car on the spot:

  • What documents do I need to rent a car?

    Driving license and the second identity proof (ID card, passport).

  • How and when should I pay for my rental?

    The following payment methods are accepted: debit card or credit card, money transfer, cash. The payment for the rental is made in advance.

  • Where can I pick/return a rented car?

    Cars are delivered to the given address without a charge in cities where our branches are located. If you want to rent or deliver a car in other city – send us an inquiry or just call.

  • Who can drive a rented car?

    The person who rented a car or any other drivers specified in the rental agreement. Personal data of other driver and his/her documents (driving license and ID card/passport) should be provided in the day of the rental at the latest.

  • Can I drive a rented car abroad?

    Yes, in EU countries. The drive abroad requires a written consent of the Lessor.

  • How can I rent a car from the violator’s policy?

    You can find the details in the “Rent from the violator’s policy” at our homepage.

  • What should I do in the case of collision or an accident?

    In case of any failure, collision or similar event you should call our rental department which will provide you with in-depth information about further actions. The phone number is available also for callers from outside Poland, 24 hours a day.

  • I don’t have a Polish driving license. Can I rent a car?

    Below you can find the list of countries from which driving licenses are accepted. If you have any other driving license, you will need an International Driving License to rent a car.

    Albania, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Philippines, Finland, France, Greece, Georgia, Guyana, Spain, Netherlands, Israel, Ireland, Iceland, Japan, Kazakhstan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, South Korea, Cuba, Kuwait, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Morocco, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Germany, Republic of Niger, Norway, Pakistan, Portugal, Russia, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Sweden, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Hungary, Italy, Great Britain, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe

  • How can I prolong my rental?

    In case of prolongation contact your rental car branch – it requires a written consent.

  • How can I absolve myself of deductible per claim?

    You just need to take out the Super Package which will absolve you of responsibility in case of collision (of your fault) or car theft. You should buy it in the day of the rental at the latest.

  • Does the Super Package exclude the financial responsibility in case of tires and panes damage?

    No, to absolve yourself from responsibility in case of tires and/or panes damage, the lessee can buy an extra WG package in the day of the rental at the latest, which absolves him/her of financial responsibility in case of such damage.

  • Where can I rent a car with a driver for special occasions and events?

    The rental of a limousine with a chauffeur is available throughout the country. Feel free to contact us at the dedicated phone number (+48) 788 018 018. More info at: